[Foundation-l] (no subject)

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:06:53 UTC 2007

Hoi,
I could not disagree with you more.

First off, we have to stay within the pertinent American laws. This is a
given. After that there is no reason why we cannot do, within the law, as we
like. Your argument that we could work for Wikimedia UK or DE is ill
considered, no board member works for the foundation.

Where you compare a parent with a kid just out of school, you assume that
the parent would not have qualifications. Assumption is the mother of most
fuck-ups. When the board indicates that they are operating in a way that is
sub optimal, you have to recognise that a lot of effort has been put into
finding a legal council and an executive director. These slots have been
filled. You have to recognise that they have done their utmost to manage a
staff that is gaining experience and that is too small for the task.

When the board is only to consist of American professionals, I am sure that
howls of protest will arise because these "professionals" are not likely to
represent our community nor our projects.

When you consider how inexpensive the running of the WMF organisation is,
then I do not understand your point of limiting expenses.. With more staff,
the costs will rise. We will look back in wonder of the "good" old times
when the bickering about costs was about the costs of providing a baby sit.

Thanks,
    GerardM