[Foundation-l] Travel policy

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jul 9 18:03:36 UTC 2007

> I do not agree with this reasoning.  If it were legally possible (and
> it is not) I would like to see the possibility for board members
> to get at least a small paycheck  (10,000 euros per year or similar).

It's not legally possible, or it's not possible without changing the
bylaws?  I'm absolutely certain that some US charities have board
members who are also paid employees.

> I think that board diversity is an important goal.  And the practical
> reality is that serving on the board of the foundation takes up quite
> a bit of time and energy for all of us, and that is not likely to
> change.

You've hit on the primary problem right there: "serving on the board
of the foundation takes up quite a bit of time and energy for all of
us, and that is not likely to change".  The bylaws currently provide
for reimbursing board members "for attending meetings, if necessary".
But it also says that "A member of the Board of Trustees may
participate in a meeting of such board by means of a conference
telephone or online".

Buying a board member a nice telephone and paying the costs of a
conference call a few times a year is relatively cheap.

Anthony