[Foundation-l] Travel policy

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:48:59 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because Dependent care is not the responsibility of the foundation's
> expenses. There is a reason why other boards do not do this. If one
> is volunteering one's time as a board member, the volunteer is making
> a decision for themselves to give up that time. They must weigh that
> decision carefully against their own personal needs.
>
> If I were a board member, for instance, it would be incredibly
> unreasonable for me to ask for reimbursement for boarding, care, and
> feeding of my cats while I was gone. It was my decision to get the
> cats, and the assumption of responsibility is my own. Similarly, the
> decision to be on the board would also be my own, and therefore the
> foundation would not be beholden to the care of my cats.
>
> It's the same thing with dependents... if you cannot afford to keep
> care of them in the execution of ones duties, then do not sit on the
> board.

Are you seriously comparing cats to children and other dependents?
Focusing on children:
In my opinion, a mature organisation recognises that there are persons
(I don't say "women", I say "persons", incl. men) who have children to
look after but nevertheless want to have a job / have a career / work
in a NGO.
You basically state "If you have children and can't pay a babysitter,
you shouldn't be allowed to be a board member" and I consider this to
be rather an affront and a quite out-of-time opinion.

Michael