[Foundation-l] Change default skins? (WAS: Wikimedia Brand Survey Analysis)

Titoxd@Wikimedia titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 07:08:58 UTC 2007

Not really replying to David, but there's a ton of messages in this thread,
and there isn't really one that fits as a "best email to reply to".
It has been mentioned in this thread that most of our projects are
considered part of Wikipedia in the general public's eyes. However, I showed
a Wikinews article to a friend the other day, and she said, "Wow, I thought
it was Wikipedia because it looks the same as Wikipedia."
I kept thinking about that for a while, and I realized that we could
probably visually distance the projects away from Wikipedia by changing the
default skins for those projects. I immediately thought about this skin in
Wikinews [http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:WikinewsSkin-1024.png] that
apparently never got finished. There are dozens of skin layouts available at
the Gallery of user styles
[http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Gallery_of_user_styles] which could help
Wikimedia sister projects obtain their respective visual identities.
Of course, that begs the question of whether we would want to do such a
thing, but if we wanted to, we could probably make a contest to design a new
skin. That would encourage techies to look at the other projects, and feel a
certain degree of satisfaction when they look at code they made being used
on Wiktionary's Main Page.
Comments?
Titoxd.