[Foundation-l] Will the Board accept the election result?

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Sat Jul 7 22:20:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, July 7, 2007 22:46, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> In the UK we have laws about what can be said during an election period
>> regarding candidates
>
> We do? There are laws about what the media can say, there are laws
> about libel and slander, but laws preventing regular people stating
> their opinions?

I suggest you check the Representation of the People Act regarding what
may be published (and, lest you forget, an email list *is* publishing).

> I've certainly never heard of such a thing, and I
> would be very surprised if it exists ("freedom of speech" mean
> anything to you?).

"Freedom of Speech" is actually an American state of law, not an
English/British one.

> Why shouldn't people be allowed full possession of the facts when they
> vote? Those facts include people's opinions.

"facts include opinions" huh? I suggest you never appear in a court of law
as you'd be laughed out of it!

Alison