[Foundation-l] Will the Board accept the election result?

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 19:08:38 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Two things, first the result of the elections are not known. So it is
premature to use threats like you do. Second, there is a tendency by some to
equate a single issue as if it is the mother of all issues. There are
several things that I dislike in how things are done in our Foundation. Some
issues are handled in a way that deserves some unprintable words. However, I
am of the opinion that the WMF is in a much better position than it was a
year ago. I admire the dedication of the people who serve on the current
board and on the current staff. I applaud these people who have put so much
effort in for so little recognition.

When the election committee has the results, it will take some time to
validate the numbers, I can imagine that there will be people who will be
upset because it will take time. People will be upset because of their
opinion that their constituency is not properly represented.

In the end, an organisation gets the government it deserves. The people who
make up the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects is a weird and wonderful
group of people. They represent some of the best people around. It is not an
homogeneous group of people, the attitudes the opinions are often
disruptively different. It is amazing how well it has worked so far and I
trust that it will get better not worse.
So, can the board refuse people, sure. Are they likely to, not really. Is
there something new here, hell no. Am I of the opinion that Danny has not
properly motivated his reasons for standing in this election, absolutely.
Will this question go away, not even when he is elected.

Thanks,
     GerardM