[Foundation-l] translation and the GFDL

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 6 16:43:30 UTC 2007

geni wrote:

>On 7/6/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hoi,
>>Using that argument, it would make sense to ditch the GFDL and use one of
>>the Creative Commons licenses. For users there is one license, for lawyers
>>there is a legal document that is worded for their different legal systems.
>>This way you deal with the license in one language, the language of your
>>legal system, wherever that is.
>>

>Actually no. For people reading the summery there what they think is a
>license. For lawyers and people who read the legal text there will be
>a slightly different license. So that comes out as 2 * the number of
>languages the licence has been translated into. Throw in all the
>variants and the situation with CC is far more complex.

I'm not saying that CC will improve the situation.  Trying to adapt it
to the laws of different countries could easily lead to more
jurisdiction shopping.

>>When you suggest that we need not complicate matters with a translation of
>>the license we use, and by posting on this list you make it plain that you
>>can read English.. Last time I looked, the overwhelming majority of our
>>projects were not in English. :)
>>

>The majority of our edits are.
>
>Please go and play language politics somewhere else. At the moment it
>would not be legal to use translations of tr.pedia articles on any
>other project.

I disagree with White Cat's view, but I'm not suggesting that he is
playing language politics.  He expresses a fairly widespread view that I
happen to disagree with.  How is that language politics?

I know of no rule that forbids us from translating turkish language
articles.  What do you know about Turkish law?

Ec