[Foundation-l] translation and the GFDL

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 6 16:26:38 UTC 2007

White Cat wrote:

>It is legally binding as per GFDL not as per US legislation.

US legislation has nothing to do with it; English is quasi-official in
the United States.  The GFDL is subject to contract law in the country
in which it is being applied.  Being contrary to public policy is basis
for declaring a contract null and void.  In some countries insisting on
that a contract be in a foreign language could easily be contrary to
public policy.

>What you
>suggest is the licensing an entire wiki with a non-GFDL license.

I didn't suggest anything; I only commented on the existing state of things.

>We want to deal with one and only one license in a single language for all
>the practical purposes. There is no reason why we need to complicate matters
>with a translation of GFDL.

This is pure chauvinism.  Would you support a suggestion that the next
version of the GFDL be in adifferent language than English, and be
enforceable thus around the world?

Ec