[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Brand Survey Analysis

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jul 6 02:23:22 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/5/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On 7/5/07, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > > Just a data point from a practical perspective: we get blank looks when
> > > we tell people we're "the Wikimedia Foundation", versus wide eyes and
> > > bright smiles when we tell people we're "Wikipedia". The latter is a lot
> > > nicer to get when we're asking for something. :)
> > >
> > Doesn't that suggest that Wikipedia should be self-governing or at
> > least in control of its own funds?  If people are giving you something
> > because they want to help Wikipedia, then that something should be
> > used toward Wikipedia, not some other project.
>
> My impression and interpretation of the situation is that the money
> effectively goes in three directions:
> 1. Staff (lightly associated with number of projects, strongly with
> project size)
> 2. Hosting (also lightly associated with number of projects, strongly
> with project size/readership)
> 3. SW Dev (not affected much by number of projects; scaling issues
> somewhat related to project sizes)
>
> One could study the problem in more depth, but my impression is that
> for any useful definition, essentially all the money coming in does
> support the Wikipedia part of the Foundation's projects set.

I'm not sure about "essentially all", even if you take your three
points to be correct, because not "essentially all" of the traffic
goes to Wikipedia, just a significant majority.  But I'll accept for
the purposes of argument that the resources are *currently*
distributed roughly in proportion.  The thing is, by most accounts
Wikipedia is currently receiving a tiny fraction of its potential.