[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 23:35:19 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I understand your desire to reach as many people as possible, and I
> respect
> > that you may have made many people happy, and I'm even willing to
> consider
> > it an acceptable abuse of the email notification feature because of the
> > rarity and importance of Board elections, but it was an abuse.
>
> Isn't "acceptable abuse" an oxymoron? If it's acceptable, then what
> are you complaining about?

By "acceptable" I meant "acceptable to me"; by "abuse" I meant "not
following community rules or standards".

As I explained, in my opinion Gregory Maxwell's bot-spamming of the email
notification feature is less egregious than his claim that what he was doing
is not spamming.

For another example, if I restored some deleted page outside of the standard
procedure because I believed it was self-evident that the page should never
have been deleted and the procedure as it stands is inane and bizarre,
that's what I would say if challenged. I wouldn't claim I was following the
standard procedure.

That may or may not make more sense, I recognize.