[Foundation-l] for the future...

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 23:26:00 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rock the Vote was aimed specifically at a younger demographic due to
> our chronic apathy and low voter turnout when compared to the
> influence we could have on politics if we all tried.
>
> Given that turnout, %age-wise, for en.wp is still much lower than for
> most other major Wikis, I don't see any problems here.

The issues keep coming back up.

The most neutral way of looking at this is that we really want to
encourage everyone to vote, equally enthusiastically, across all the
projects.  To that end, an open, evenly applied get-out-the-vote
campaign should be planned for all projects for next time.

Regarding this time, there was no such open, planned, even campaign.
I assume good faith regarding lack of intent to slant the election
towards en.wp voters.  I think reasonable efforts to extend the
notifications, or a notification campaign, to non-en projects would be
good.  Some of that has already been made.  If non-en people still are
uncomfortable with it, we should work to rectify it now and not let it
simmer.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com