[Foundation-l] [Election] Unqualified votes striking

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:31:23 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, Jan-Bart de Vreede <wiki at devreede.net> wrote:
>  >Is the situation only that the
>  >edit count criteria was misapplied and nothing has been changed from
>  > the official election rules?
>
> Yep

Thank you, this is a great relief.

[snip]
> I would also like to point out that the members of the election
> committee are currently spending a LOT of time on these elections and
> that the foundation really appreciates all their hard work :)

Yes, indeed, it is a monumental task.

> PS: And also to repeat: NO ONE within the foundation (including members
> of the board/advisory board) has access to the key needed to look at the
> election results...

It needs to be assured that no one except SPI *ever* has access to the
key used to decrypt the ballots, otherwise the secrecy of the
User->ballot connection is compromised. I pointed out this weakness
last year, but it was not sufficiently addressed.

Ideally all determinations about ballot validity will be made final
before a single ballot is decrypted, and after they are decrypted the
key should be destroyed.