[Foundation-l] for the future...

oscar van dillen oscarvandillen at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 4 10:08:28 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > (This is my personal opinion and does not reflect that of the election
> > committee, etc, etc.)

> > > Sounds reasonable.  If it was done by the Foundation officially I
> > > don't think I would have had a problem with it.  Note the privacy
> > > policy specifically says that "The email address may be used by the
> > > Wikimedia Foundation to communicate with users on a wider scale."
> > >

> > I was about to suggest the same thing, but technically slightly
> different;
> > instead of having such notification as part of the standard email yes/no
> > option, create a separate option saying "Allow the Wikimedia Foundation
> > notify me of important events (only used once or twice annually)", or
> > something like it. It should, however, be quite clear that you will not
> > get
> > a lot of emails from this feature, and that it should only be used in
> > "emergencies" (in lack of a better word).
> >
> > This would allow people to choose to receive notifications, but not be
> > emailed by other members, or to be emailed by other members but not
> > receive
> > notifications.
>

> This sounds like a reasonable solution, though there would have to be a
> big
> push to make sure current account-holders knew they could opt in.
>
> Though spam-like, I wouldn't consider the elections message spam --
> especially if it came from the Foundation directly. It is entirely
> possible
> that an otherwise dedicated editor could be away from the wiki for a
> couple
> of months and miss the election entirely; emails would help with that. We
> should just be careful about limiting the notices to the bare minimum of
> foundation-wide announcements that really do affect all users, and making
> them short.
>
> As with elections and participatory governance in the real world, it is
> not
> simply that the election is an opportunity for members to vote if they
> feel
> like it; instead it may be that those who claim the label of "community
> member" have some responsibility in sharing in governance. Thus griping
> about having too many reminders of the election seems, frankly, like poor
> form. Most of us will not be overwhelmed by an email or two from a project
> that we spend dozens or hundreds of hours on. Even if this is
> controversial,
> an opt-in option would be painless -- and it would be nice to be able to
> walk away from the wiki and still know that you'd get notifications if the
> place was burning down or similar.
>
> -- phoebe

i concur with this. such an extended option in the email-preferences could
be used by the foundation for important announcements without the risk of it
becoming spam (because it is a clickable option).

best regards,
oscar

--
*edito ergo sum*

DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of the
Wikimedia Foundation nor of its Board of Trustees.