[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

oscar van dillen oscarvandillen at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 4 09:39:40 UTC 2007

> The message is no mystery, I posted it in advance on wikien-l.
> Unfortunately many people don't see posts on the lists.
>
> Oscar, I find it amusing that you've quoted it so selectively and
> imply that the rest of the body reflects your selection. It doesn't of
> course, but that would weaken your argument.   It also amuses me that
> there would be any question about who sent it: All, save a few, went
> out with my name on them. And all would have told you who sent them by
> simply looking for the username that sent the message.

dear greg, thanks for your open explanations. i was at the same time
relieved and surprised that it was sent by you (and not by someone anonymous
and, although asking for the motive, i rather question the method of
mass-mailing instead). quoting only the parts sent to me, i had not seen the
full email before it was linked to in this thread, and, assume good faith,
certainly would not have asked the *who* question here if i had. the fact
that it turned out to be you who sent it also explains the question asked to
me: "was it sent by the board"? since i suppose it was known you are the
foundation's chief research coordinator, and i cannot detect any disclaimer
on the versions which i have now seen, so it must have looked a bit like it
possibly was some kind of "official" email.

"all is well that ends well"? in the end i think more people went to vote
because of this thread, i risk i gladly took, since me too, i also do think
a bigger turnout is a good thing for the elections ;-)

greetz,
oscar

--
*edito ergo sum*

DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of the
Wikimedia Foundation nor of its Board of Trustees.