[Foundation-l] for the future...

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jul 4 02:40:23 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Ayelie wrote:
> Targeted e-mails such as Greg is sending out are one thing; what I
> meant by
> people considering them spam was regarding mass e-mails sent out to
> everyone
> regardless of whether they could vote or not, which would mean that
> for
> *many* people they would be unapplicable and thus more of a bother
> than
> anything else. Yes, if the e-mails are targeted there will be far
> fewer
> complaints and more positive results. "send out an official election
> reminder by email in all languages" just seems to indicate a notice
> that the
> election is going on which will be sent to everyone rather than
> specifically
> targeted letters to those who are eligible to vote.

Assume Good Faith.

Of course I mean, that it seems that it would be best if the
Foundation sent out emails *to eligible voters*, not a randomized
spam to everyone we have the email addresses of.

I would even support culling the list of people who are eligible but
who have not edited for more than X months (though I question whether
they should be eligible in the first place).

The point of "in all languages" is to avoid the current situation,
which is fine except for the possibility that the election will end
up too heavily en-centric.

--Jimbo