[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Wed Jul 4 00:47:07 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > "Voting will be by secret ballot (the names of voters and the
>> > candidates supported will not be posted on-wiki)."
>> >
>> > Could the committee correct that statement?
>>
>> The statement is correct, although easy to misunderstand. Names *and*
>> candidates supported are not listed anywhere, just names. In jargon,
>> the "and" binds more tightly than the "will not be".
> "Has to be parsed by an grammar lawyer to be read and interpreted
> properly" == "A misstatement"
I don't know that it takes a lawyer to figure this out, but there's a
much simpler interpretation that helps make the statement more literally
correct. The posting of the voter list is not taking place "on-wiki"
since we're using the services of an outside party to host the voting
process.
> The information put forwards has to be both literally correct *and*
> interpreted by any casual reader to have the correct information
> content, or it's wrong...
I agree about the potential for confusion, and my previous observation
notwithstanding, the statement should still be improved.

--Michael Snow