[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Jul 3 23:13:44 UTC 2007

Sue Reed wrote:
> [...]
If this is a common attitude, and I receive spam of this nature on a
regular basis from either the board or several users, I will be very
explicit here and completely disable my e-mail access completely from
all Wikimedia projects.  I do feel this strongly about it, and I can't
imagine that I am the only one here who feels this way.   I'll keep an
e-mail address like spam at example.com, but how much good does that do
anybody if they really do need to get ahold of me?  My point here is
that this critical tool is going to be diminished significantly if it is
abused, even if it is for "a good cause".

No, I don't think it is explicitly mentioned in any formal policy guide,
but this is good etiquette.  And I'm willing to receive messages that
are of monumental importance.... aka the WMF is shutting down because it
has run completely out of funds and if you want a copy of the database
download it by next week. (to use an example).  But shy of something
that critical I don't want that sort of e-mail communication.  I'll read
about it on the Signpost if I have time.

I'll say it again..... e-mail is hardly the only form of communications
available, and it is up to the Wikipedia community to come up with
another form of communication if the want to get the word out regarding
this sort of issue.  Most contributors will likely be involved with an
individual Wikiproject or other smaller sub-set of Wikipedia, and
messages like this could also have been put on those Wikiproject talk
pages.  Some grumbling may have happened even with that, but at least
those are public forii.  I'm just asking you to think outside of the box
here, and don't you dare tell me again that e-mail is the only possible
avenue of communication to thousands of Wikipedia users.  I don't buy
that at all.  I've already listed more than five other possible avenues
of communication that do not require e-mail, and I'm sure I can come up
with a dozen more if you are interested.

--  Robert Horning