[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 3 18:18:16 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>We could possibly supplement an early delivered email which will reach
>people who do not log in every day, with a dynamic notice that appears
>on a non-cached page, such as watchlists, which says "You are eligible
>to vote in the board election, but you have not done so yet."  I think
>the biggest complication with that will be making it not show when
>someone has voted from another project... I guess this will just be
>something else we put off while waiting for SUL.

What I find most disturbing in this is that someone, other than the
people who are independently running the election, should have access to
records of who has and who hasn't voted, and then be able to use that
for his spam list.  Saying that only 15% have voted is one thing, but
identifying who is in that 15% is quite another.

In some ways this situation is not too different from the recent one
where the fact that someone was editing from a proxy server was
revealed. The action is not specifically forbidden, but it nevertheless
brings  into question the propriety and ethics of the person who would
use such information.

The argument that some of these people might not be aware that an
election in progress is spurious justification for these actions.  To
whatever extent WMF may have democratic structures, the persons who have
such rights must accept some responsibility for keeping themselves
informed of major democratic processes.  If they don't they get the
results that they deserve.

Whether or not I have voted is my business.  It is clearly too late to
repair this security flaw for this election, but I would expect that
this breach could be plugged before the next one.

Ec