[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:16:25 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Peter van Londen <londenp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry, but your actions are misplaced. It is trying to influence voters
> selectively.
>
> It is "not done" and reason to doubt the results of this election.
> The election committee will have to make a standpoint what this means for
> the election as such.
>
> The election committee might have made mistakes (which ones you did not
> mention though), but your mistake is absolutely the biggest.
>
> Kind regards, Londenp

I'm sorry you see it that way.

It's an impressive double standard, however.  Other projects have
already had organized campaigns to increase voter turnout, even ones
lead by local community leaders, local chapter leadership, etc.  ...
And their success is reflected in the differential turnouts from these
projects.

Perhaps once it is done we will see eye to eye, whichever way that is?

If, at the end, a greater percentage of eligible English Wikpedians or
commons Wikimedians participate than contemporary projects I will take
your criticism to heart... but even with the emails I do not expect
that to be achieved.

While I spent one paragraph of my message to Enwiki eligible users
making the point of why it is important in particular for them to
participate, my view is that we all need to participate. I worked on
English because it had such a large problem, because it is the
language I speak well, and because it is a community I have been a
part of.  Other, more qualified, people have been addressing turnout
in other languages.