[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

oscar van dillen oscarvandillen at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 3 10:44:52 UTC 2007

it came to my attention that (some? many? i do not know?) english language
wikipedia users have received an "personal" email with content like this:

"There are many reasons why it is very important that YOU vote in this
election. The board is responsible for oversight and direction of the
Wikimedia projects, including fundraising, defining the mission, and
determining foundation-wide policies, so though it does not have direct
input into English Wikipedia day-to-day policy, you still are affected by
what they choose to do."

and this:

"Regardless of the election outcome, low turnout from English Wikipedia also
sends the wrong message to the board. English Wikipedia is by far the
largest Wikimedia community, and English Wikipedia has, by far, the largest
readership. While it is very important that other Wikimedia projects be well
supported and understood by the board, the importance of English Wikipedia
should not be understated."

and the text goes on like this for a while.

it came to my attention because i was asked if this was sent by the
wmf-board!? well: NO of course not!

i wonder what IS going on behind this *spamming*: who? why? does anyone have
a clue?

best regards,
oscar

--
*edito ergo sum*

DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of the
Wikimedia Foundation nor of its Board of Trustees.