[Foundation-l] Ombudsman Commission: Verification of checkuser results

Dmcdevit dmcdevit at cox.net
Mon Jul 2 21:39:23 UTC 2007

Anders Wegge Jakobsen wrote:

>  Quoting
> <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Ombudsperson_checkuser>:
>
>     "The ombudsman will take charge of investigating cases of privacy
>      policy breach *or checkuser abuse* for the board in an official
>      manner." (My emphasis)
>
>  There are more issues than just privacy issues at stake.

I think you are misreading that if you think it extends to
double-checking disputed checkuser interpretations when no privacy
violation is alleged, on a project with more than a dozen native
checkusers fully capable of doing that themselves. Someone from the
Board can correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea is that the Commission
investigates privacy violations (in general) by anyone--presumably
stewards, oversight users, developers, OTRS volunteers, arbitrators, or
anyone else who may have privileged information-- and, (specifically)
abuses of checkuser related to privacy violations. This is clear if you
read the whole document, which solely concerns itself with the privacy
policy, and is intended to resolve "complaints related to abuse of its
privacy policy, associated to checkuser activity or not."

Has the Ombudsman commission always been taking these sorts of
complaints in the last year, instead of directing them to the local
community? I am still confused as to why, if so, the en.wp checkuser on
the Commission cannot give you the information you need.

Dominic