[Foundation-l] Ombudsman Commission: Verification of checkuser results

Dmcdevit dmcdevit at cox.net
Mon Jul 2 10:25:13 UTC 2007

Nathan Carter wrote:
> Hi,
> As most of you should be aware I am currently a member of the Ombudsman
> Commission (see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ombudsman_commission)
>
> One of my current complaints involves a user who disputes the results of a
> CU, as I do not have checkuser access on enwiki how would I go about
> verifying the results?
> Regards,
> Nathan Carter (Cartman02au)

I doubt most people are aware that that commission exists, actually,
but, as a checkuser myself, I would ask you 1) Why you are going about
verifying disputed results? The Ombudsman Commission exists to
investigate *privacy violations,* not as oversight on interpretation of
checkuser results for a project with 17 local checkusers, any of which
can double check a disputed result if need be. Has there been a privacy
violation? 2) The Ombudsman Commission has an en.wp checkuser as one of
its members. Why are you asking here instead of asking him? 3) If it is
the case that you are investigating a disputed result, which strikes me
as odd, is there some special cause for concern? Have you talked to the
checkuser involved yet?

Dominic