[Foundation-l] Wikipedia content in SMS

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:36:09 UTC 2007

Ehm, well, I'm not sure of that :) When Google does something (and
they only send the first line of their search, which *might* be
wikipedia) it doesn't mean that it is per se OK. You very well noticed
already the license problem the GFDL offers. When they do something
like this, they might indeed risk that someone sues them, but with my
limited knowledge of law I cannot say whether they make a good chance.
I'd advise them to at least seek legal advice of their own from a
lawyer familiar with Open Licenses and especially GNU-licenses (read:
GFDL). Please do not assume that it will be ok, and be always very
very carefull when giving advice on legal area's to companies.

I don't know how the trademark issue is exactly, you might want to
suggest them to contact the Wikimedia Foundation Office for that.

Best Regards,

Lodewijk