[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Jan 31 19:57:54 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>

>>I am being told that the one and only way that these images are going to
>>possibly be removed from Wikipedia is through a WP:OFFICE action.  I
>>think that is one of the most ridiculous sentiments ever made.  For
>>example, see the "disclaimer" that was thrown onto this image:
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image%3AHand_with_Reflecting_Sphere.jpg
>>
>I looked at that "disclaimer", and found it excessively
>confrontational.  I was tempted to at least edit off the rough edges,
>but though it better not to meddle with what you are trying to do..  I
>saw no mention of WP:OFFICE.
>
>Ec

The point I was trying to make here is that the only option that our
"desgnated agent" could do here (aka Brad, if he were contacted by the
Escher Foundation to remove this content) is to invoke WP:OFFICE and
have the content removed.  I see no reason that such a disclaimer needs
to be here in this first place, and am arguing that this is strongly
suggesting that perhaps even having this image on Wikipedia is illegal.
 I'm sure that somebody thought to add the disclaimer as a form of CYA
(cover your assetts), but if you are in doubt in the first place
wouldn't it simply be better to remove the image completely?

--
Robert Scott Horning