[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 31 01:38:04 UTC 2007

Robert Scott Horning wrote:

>One of the problems with fair use for images is that they don't normally
>follow the traditions and practices of fair-use textual quotations.
> This is also why the doctrines divirge so much from one country to the
>next for these items.
>
>Still, I would like to point out that while fair-use doctrine may only
>be an American concept (largely), similar concepts do exist in virtually
>all other countries, even if to a significantly lesser extent.  There
>may be some images that are not strictly available for any purpose under
>the GFDL, but may under certain circumstances be legitimately used in
>GFDL'd content.  Trying to draw the line between what is acceptable
>content and stuff that simply needs to be deleted is where the problem
>comes in.  Erring on the side of caution and exclude fair-use content
>altogether may be one solution on some projects where fair use content
>isn't so critical.

That's sensible.  It's just not as simple as some people like to believe.

>What I find amazing is the philosophy of some en.wikipedia users that
>are now pushing to allow content on Wikipedia even if it invalidates the
>GFDL when it is included in a Wikipedia article.  It is this expansion
>of the range of images being permitted that surprises me, where the only
>limit to allowed content is only what is strictly legal in the USA, and
>trying to take fair use to the ultimate limits in U.S. Common Law and
>asserting educational and non-profit justifications for its inclusion.

I've always been clear in saying that I strongly support fair use, but
there are times when I wish we did not constantly have to watch our
backs out of concern for what some of our more idiotic colleagues are doing.

>I believe there is some middle ground that can be found between this
>free-for-all philosohpy and complete exclusion of fair use that would be
>easy to understand, work in nearly every country with significant
>numbers of Wikimedia users, and be simple enough to see a policy that is
>just a couple of paragraphs long about the topic.  Perhaps I'm overly
>optimistic here.

The middle ground, whereever it may be, is a good place.  Keeping it to
two paragraphs probably is optimistic. :-)

Ec