[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:20:52 UTC 2007

On 30/01/07, teun spaans <teun.spaans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this imply that an Italian chapter could be sued for fair use images on
> the english wiki?

It has been an absolute principle that Chapters Are Not Responsible In
any Way For The Projects. They're associated bodies, but there should
never be any implication they're publishers.

I mean, anyone can be sued for anything by anyone, but hopefully it
would be a pretty fast dismissal and order to pay costs for a
frivolous suit as soon as a court looked at the actual facts :-)

> Does this mean that the english wiki could potentially be blocked in Italy
> if "fair use" images are of italian origin?

Depends; are the Italian courts in favour of issuing gagging orders
for something as relatively trivial as copyright? I find it very
implausible...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk