[Foundation-l] Publishing group hires 'Pit Bull of PR' to fight open access

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Jan 30 12:54:06 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> (courtesy Mathias Schindler)
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,462845,00.html
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/25/AR2007012501705.html
> http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070122/full/445347a.html
>
> Now, is there anything WMF can do to advocate free content? Is that
> political or entirely in accordance with our goals? Or what can
> individuals do?

This is a somewhat different fight, since *neither* side in the
open-access debate is advocating free content.  The argument is over
whether journal issues and/or archives should be available fee-free on
the internet, or should require a subscription fee---but neither side is
advocating that the articles should become any form of free content.

It is vaguely in line with our goals, though, since we can more easily
research for our own articles if the primary and secondary literature is
more widely and freely available.

-Mark