[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 21:06:41 UTC 2007

Brad Patrick wrote:

> The images are fair - not free - and that isn't the same thing.  You can
> argue til the cows come home about any particular example.  People do.  ;-)
> But I would once again encourage anyone interested in the issue to ask
> themselves first why the fair image *must* be there instead of a free one
> (rare examples) and why it is not instead an easy way out in lieu of the
> harder task of obtaining free images as equivalents.

Well, it is not so rare. In fact there are thousands of fair-use images
in Wikipedia-en, that you could not replace with a free ones. Book's and
CD's covers, movie posters, logos of companies etc, have no free
replacement.

See for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_%28album%29

Polimerek.