[Foundation-l] Fair Use (again)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 21:06:51 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> I am being told that the one and only way that these images are going to
> possibly be removed from Wikipedia is through a WP:OFFICE action.  I
> think that is one of the most ridiculous sentiments ever made.  For
> example, see the "disclaimer" that was thrown onto this image:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image%3AHand_with_Reflecting_Sphere.jpg

Hmm yes that is rather a worry. I would argue it's inclusion in [[Hand
with Reflecting Sphere (Self-Portrait in Spherical Mirror)]] at a low
enough resolution could be legitimately argued to be fair use.

> IMHO, this disclaimer by itself is almost proof by itself that this
> particular image is a copyright violation,

It is prooof that someone doesn't know what they are doing

> and I would argue that the
> other 40,000 images also in [[en:w:Category:Fair use images of art]]
> also are very likly to be copyright violations.  That is not a trivial
> number of images to be removing.

While it is a bit messy a lot of it isn't to bad. As long as people
talk about the artwork in the article it is in it is posible to start
building a fair use case.

--
geni