[Foundation-l] Promotion of Indian languages

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 19:24:20 UTC 2007

On 25/01/07, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:

> Instead on a bottom-up approach, I would like to try a top-down
> tentative, writing to officials in universities, goovernments and
> medias. I already started a page for coordinating this:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Promoting_the_South_Asian_languages_projects/Gujarati
> I would like to write an letter in behalf of the Foundation requesting
> people to spread the word about Indian languages projects. A draft is
> available on the page above. Suggestions and feedback are welcome.

I can't find the exact source, but Alan Cox, the Linux kernel
developer, said that he was learning Welsh because "in fifty years,
languages that aren't on computers won't exist." I suggest that
applies to languages without Wikipedias too. Do you think this can be
leveraged to invoke some local linguistic pride and work?

- d.