[Foundation-l] The Ideal Wiki Software

Virgil Ierubino virgil.ierubino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 05:35:32 UTC 2007

In an ideal world, what features would the ideal Wiki Software have, and
what would it be like?

If we can answer this question, developmental direction is made clear. It is
easy to develop MediaWiki with view to improving it, streamlining it,
ironing out bugs - but much more difficult to look beyond it; for the future
of Wikimedia projects and general wiki success, new software must emerge
that caters for the new functions required by modern wiki users.

What functions would set MediaWiki well above all other wiki engines for
years to come?
What features would make it the most efficient wiki engine?
**What would the software be like if it generated maximal wiki success?**

To discuss this (what I find an interesting) question, I've set up a page at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Ideal

Obviously the answers to these questions won't necessarily be possible to
implement; but it would be interesting to know the answers nonetheless.

Look forward to some bright ideas :)