[Foundation-l] Promoting non-en Wikipedias (was In defence of Google)

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:38:09 UTC 2007

The low representation of Indian citizens surprises me. I met one or two at
the english wikipedia / commons, perhaps they tend to prefer the english
wiki above their local languages?

India, despite having a large population suffering poverty and even hunger
accordint to slashdot today, also has a fairly large programmers community
and other hightec sectors. The low numbers of Hausa volunteers does not
surprise me at all.

Funny: The english, german and french wikis do not seem to have an article
on the omoro language. Yet from this stat I gather they have 32million
native speakers.

teun