[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 22:20:44 UTC 2007

Certainly. Book and album covers do reflect the culture and in that way
enhance the article, but i do not find them indispensable. The articles
generally remain perfectly understandable without them.
If there was a free alternative, I wouldnt object to adding them. If someone
would donate a huge sum to buy all Sony album covers in the public domain,
and Sony would be willing to sell those rights, I'd be perfectly happy with
them. But alas I dont see anyone donating such a gift, and if someone did, I
doubt the major music publishers and book publishers would be willing to
sell them.

If an image, free or fair use, didnt add to an article, we wouldnt have a
discussion, we would probably already have it removed.

So the question is: what do we pursue: the dream of a free content, or a
compromise which add some chrome/culture but inhibits the free spreading of
knowledge?

teun