[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:12:52 UTC 2007

> Andrew Gray wrote:

> > In theory, we require that material used under fair-use has full
> >source and copyright details. It would seems sensible to interpret
> >this to cover including a reference to any non-free license or
> >conditions, of whatever form, if there is one.

> Requiring this is important to the extent to whatever extent we may
> allow fair use.  With this in hand a potential downstream user has the
> tools for determining whether his own use would qualify as fair use.

Any fair use image without these needs to be marked for immediate
attention and then deletion if not remedied. "Fair use" is fair use in
a given context (hence the {{fairusein}} template).

I'm a great fan of fair use images on en:wp when used properly -
quoting images is as important to being able to discuss things at all
as quoting text is - but as far as I can tell, really quite a lot of
the allegedly "fair use" images on en:wp should be taken out and shot.

[cc'd to wikien-l for discussion]

- d.