[Foundation-l] Israeli Esperanto stamps, oh my

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:02:16 UTC 2007

[copied to foundation-l and wikipedia-l; please note this when replying]

I was sure I'd seen this on the mailing lists before, but I couldn't
find it on a quick search (which is odd - I'm sure I heard a week ago)

It appears the Esperanto Wikipedia is on a stamp. Well, Esperanto is
on the stamp; a chunk of the text from [[eo:L. L. Zamenhof]] is used
as a sort of background illustration.

Colour image: http://www.jr.co.il/pictures/stamps/jrst0399.jpg
Detailed description: http://www.jr.co.il/pictures/stamps/jrst0399e.jpg
Brief discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28news%29

This is quite a delightful discovery; it isn't clear why our text is
used, but it must be a good motive, and it's certainly a somewhat
unusual bit of recognition :-)

Congratulations to the eo.wp community - from a glance at their
discussion forums last night I didn't see any obvious keywords to
suggest they've noticed yet, so someone more competent than I may like
to make sure they know...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk