[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 15:19:10 UTC 2007

2007/1/15, David Strauss <david at fourkitchens.com>:

> While I think fair use media is more integral to the English Wikipedia's
> content than you do, I agree with your reasoning. Whether or not we
> allow fair use, non-commercial media is unjustified.
>
> Can everyone here agree that non-commercial media is not a *substitute*
> for fair-use media?

It's not a substitute, but I don't think it's worse. Fair use means that the
picture can be used by Wikipedia on a specific page in a specific way
because we don't need permission. Non-commercial means that Wikipedia can
use it, as well as anyone using Wikipedia non-commercially, however they
please because we have permission. I'm not happy with the second, but it
surely is closer to what we want than the first.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels