[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:13:59 UTC 2007

On 15/01/07, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Strauss wrote:
>
> >While I think fair use media is more integral to the English Wikipedia's
> >content than you do, I agree with your reasoning. Whether or not we
> >allow fair use, non-commercial media is unjustified.
> >
> >Can everyone here agree that non-commercial media is not a *substitute*
> >for fair-use media?
> >

> To be honest, I agree only to a certain point. Fair use means using a
> copyrighted media without asking the permission to the owner, with the
> justification that there's not much else you can do. Now, what is the
> problem if, in order to illustrate the same thing, you use a NC media
> because that's the freest you can get. You're using a NC material that
> you think it qualifies as fair use. You put a fair use tag, I put a NC
> tag because fair use is helpless to me.
>
> I agree that if you can have a free media for something, then you
> shouldn't use a non-free one. And I can understand the idea that if  you
> need to illustrate something for which no free media is available, you
> may consider using a non-free one using a fair use justification. What
> is the problem if THAT media for which you claim fair use has a licence
> which is not free enough (i.e. a NC tag)?

In theory, we require that material used under fair-use has full
source and copyright details. It would seems sensible to interpret
this to cover including a reference to any non-free license or
conditions, of whatever form, if there is one.

Are people removing NC tags and replacing them with fair-use, rather
than additionally qualifying them with fair-use? (I honestly don't
know) We should probably look into that.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk