[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:10:37 UTC 2007

Hoi,
"Fair use" is a construct that exists under the US-American law. It does
not exist in exactly the same way under another law. In the Netherlands
for instance there is the more restrictive "citaatrecht". When you
compare "fair use" with "non commercial", you are comparing two things
things that cannot be compared as they are so different.

The argument that "NC" is the freest that you can get makes no
difference really. It puts a restriction to the distribution to our
content. Distribution of our content is what we aim to do.

To me the argument would be different for "ND" or no deviations. This is
a restriction that does not prevent distribution of our content. The
purists will argue that it restricts what you can do with it. That is
true, however what they ignore is that there is content where it is not
possible to have it made to us available. Trademarked logos for instance
cannot be made available under anything but a ND restriction and
probably some other restrictions as well, doing otherwise would destroy
the rights of the trademark holder. At this moment logos are published
under "fair use" or something like this.

Personally I do think that the dogmatic way in which this issue is
ignored is ridiculous. I know of several organisations including the WMF
itself that would be helped with a license that would recognise this and
that would be acceptable on Commons.

Thanks,
     GerardM