[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 19:45:09 UTC 2007

If there is no freely licensed substitute, I think we have in the long run
justr to accept that, and work with substitutes of minor quality. Thats just
bad luck, but a direct consequence of what we are doing. That is a
consequence of our choise for freedom, for free licenses. How can you EVER
expect a photographer, national institutes, record labels, to license their
stuff freely when even *we* refuse to use the free versions of lower
quality, and use copyrighted content under the flag of fair use?

I think snowdog made an excellent point in this discussion. NC is more free
as Fair Use. So a direct consequence would be that NC should be allowed on
Wikipedia. Even educational use only is more free. So if we choose for fair
use in the long run, we have to be fair ourselves, and accept those as well.
(To be clear: I am totally against allowing either NC, either
educational-only either fair use). It just might very well be that the GFDL
is worthless then, and when people are talking about throwing out our
principles, what is more our principle then free licences?

Lodewijk