[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 00:21:44 UTC 2007

> On 1/12/07, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, when is the English wikipedia planning to get rid of  the
> > noncommercial and wikipedia-only images that are still in use.
>
> less than 1000 of each less

And the list is being whittled down all the time.  The commitment to
get rid of them is there.

> >And what
> > about fair use, which to me sounds like wikipedia-only but without
> > asking permission?
> >

> That isn't quite the case.

Fair use is an important freedom under US law that many on the English
wikipedia are loath to abandon.  There is always going to be fair use
in Wikipedia, and we are unlikely to want to eradicate it entirely -
for one thing, pretty much all language versions of Wikipedia use fair
use text quotations (or whatever the local legal equivalent is).

-Matt