[Foundation-l] Special License

Rory Stolzenberg rory096 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 20:05:51 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Dariusz Siedlecki <datrio at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/10/07, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My question is this: We have a custom-made picture license created along
> > time ago. It reads (I translated it to English from Hebrew):
> >
> > "This image was created by user:user-name. Free use for educational
> > purposes, with appropriate attribution is allowed. You may use this
> image
> > for any purpose (incl. commercial use) if the usage is given for free of
> > charge to the wide public, with appropriate attribution."
>
> I think yes, it sounds like CC-By-SA.
>
> --
> Pozdrawiam,
> Dariusz Siedlecki

No, CC-BY-SA's only restrictions on reuse is that it requires attribution
(the SA is a restriction on derivatives). This is a weird in-between thing
between free licenses that exist and NC, as this DOES allow use if the
product they're making money on is making money but not from the user (ie,
supported by ads), but DOESN'T allow people to use it in something that's
being sold to make money, which CC-BY-SA, GFDL, etc, do allow.