[Foundation-l] Fundraising and site notice

Jerome Banal jerome.banal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:57:58 UTC 2007

Hello Anthony,

Just guesses:

June is taken as a reference because the budget is made from June to June.
Accountants are giving advices for fiscal year so they will be checked at
the end of the fiscal year. In June 2007, they will look again at figures
and see if there are indeed X months of cash reserve. Based on "current
expense", those of June 2007 .

If you look at
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/2/28/Wikimedia_2006_fs.pdf,
you will see that "Internet hosting" (I guess it is hosting + bandwidth) was
40k$ in 2005 (June 2004 to June 2005, I presume). It was 189k$ in 2006 (June
2005 to June 2006?).
It was already more than a 4fold increase. I don't know much about bandwidth
cost, I have never had to deal with these kind of budget. I can presume that
higher bandwidth links are more costly cause they don't sell much of
them...Three years ago, a home fiber link was awfully costly compared to an
ADSL2+, although delivering just a few time more bw. Simply because you had
millions of the later and just a handful of the former.

Please just assume good faith, the presentation may be a bit fuzzy but I
doubt the board is trying to diddle us and I think they have work hard to
define these goals :)

Regards,
Jerome