[Foundation-l] Mission/Vision Statement

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 11:26:14 UTC 2007

2007/1/6, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
> On 1/5/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > One problem I found on working with translators is that some of them
> > tend to prefer to translate "free knowledge" into "knowledge free of
> > charge"
>
> Perhaps we should write an authoritative version in a language which
> has reduced potential for this confusion and translate from that one?
> There are quite a few languages where this confusion is reduced.

OTOH there are many many fields where things can become wrongly
translated. IMHO it would be a better approach to think about writing
official things remembering that they will be translated, and
therefore weild out ambiguities and concentrate on clarity in the text
rather than on pretty English.

/habj