[Foundation-l] alternatives

Gianluigi Gamba gigamb at tin.it
Sat Jan 6 09:05:03 UTC 2007

Anthere ha scritto:
> So... what you suggest is that the Foundation set up a website,
> primarily constituted of fan-oriented information, with mostly
> copyrighted images under fair-use doctrine, and put advertisement on
> this web site, and use the income generated by this mean to support
> other projects ?
> Errrrr. What do other think of that idea ???

The only trouble I see is in defining where to trace the boundary
between fan-oriented information and "encyclopedical" information. There
are borderline cases that the community will have to discuss, but the
same process is happening now when communities decide whether to keep or
reject an article.
Which project do all the series of articles dedicated to "the Lord of
the Rings", as example, might belong?
Certainly, such a project can help the existing ones to fight against
self-promotion, gossip and various vanities.

How successful can such a project be? If being a Wikimedia-project is
enough to capture the attention of the many already existing fan
communities (in and out of Wiki-world), chances are good. But editors
might dislike the idea of not being allowed to write on the main
projects about their idols and being directed to what might be perceived
as a "stepchild" project...

Sorry for not being much clear, it's just aloud thiking.
G.