[Foundation-l] Donation of DVDs to Wikimedia Foundation Projects

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jan 3 12:23:35 UTC 2007

> On 1/3/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mmm. How precisely does one tag a video with the GFDL, and what's the
> > transparent copy?
> >

> > - d.
>
> Taging is fairly trivial you just add the complete lisence in at the
> end. Ok fairly trivial as long as your video is high res otherwise
> good luck. The other problem kicks in when you want to start useing
> other people's stuff since credit becomes an issue. I'm yet to figure
> out a way to include GFDL and CC material in one video. Generaly I
> just give up and use stuff in the public domain.

I would think any format with an open specification would be
considered transparent, though admittedly the GFDL only mentions text
editors, paint programs, and drawing editors, not video editors.

As for including GFDL and CC material in one video, that's the major
problem with all copyleft licenses, not just the GFDL.  Of course you
can always just take the Wikipedia way out and just mix them together
and call the result an aggregate.

Anthony