[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] [Wmfcc-l] News flash: WMF is a charity!

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 2 23:18:03 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

>On 02/01/07, Luiz Augusto <lugusto at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>To avoid generating a nonsense phrase in Portuguese language, I've changed
>>the word sequence in the translation made for the Portuguese Wikisource.
>>This is displayed as " Wikisource é uma marca comercial da Wikimedia
>>Foundation, Inc <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>., uma
>>501(c)(3)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501%28c%29>
>>beneficiente <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charitable_organization>, dedutível
>>de impostos <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Deductibility_of_donations>e
>>sem
>>fins-lucrativos <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit_organization>."
>>("charity, tax-deductible and nonprofit" instead of "tax-deductible
>>nonprofit charity"). I don't know if this is wrong or right for the
>>desirable effect on inseting this in the [[MediaWiki:Copyright]].
>>

>As long as it makes sense, gets the idea across and is legally
>correct. (I've heard no shouting so far, and it's 11:27am in Florida
>as I write this ...)
>
>Note that "501(c)(3)" refers to a paragraph in the US Internal Revenue
>Code, which is why I referred to "US" in the en:wp version.

Not having followed this thread carefully, I didn't notice a little
problem before.

The phrase "nonprofit charity" is weird.  All charities are non-profits,
but not all non-profits are charities.  Charities are a subset of
non-profits, but the wording suggests the contrary.  "Charitable
non-profit" would be more correct, even if it does sound a little awkward.

Perhaps rewording the clause to "a non-profit organisation registered as
a US ax-deductible 501(c)(3) charity." would avoid that problem.

Ec