[Foundation-l] Donation of DVDs to Wikimedia Foundation Projects

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Jan 2 22:31:33 UTC 2007

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

>If the files were to be converted to ogg theora (which they should;
>mpeg2 isn't free, neither in speech nor beer), they would take
>approximately 500 MB per hour. (rough estimation). So how many dvd's
>are we talking about?
>
>Bryan

This appears to be the taped lectures of an enitre university-level
calculus course.  It could be as much as about 200 hours of instruction
or more (if it is a full year's worth of lectures).  I'm guessing even
with some significant compression, this would still be more than a dozen
DVDs.

Of course that would be multiple files in theory, if you could have each
lecture as a seperate file, but that would be just for convience to get
this accomplished.

On the positive side, since it is just a lecture the audio might need to
be good, but the video doesn't need to be the absolutely highest quality
and could be reduced in size to reduce space/bandwidth.

--
Robert Scott Horning