[Foundation-l] alternatives

Teun Spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 19:48:46 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Teun Spaans wrote:
> > A number of people answered this call. A summary of ideas from the dutch pub:
> > * save money on bandwith by symplfying html. - however, I checked and
> > html seems already pretty lean.
> > * Save discspace by deleting older versions of articles - probably
> > contradicts GFDL.
> > * Make lists of charities. Foundation board is probably already doing this.
> ** I remember seeing such a list from Danny. But yes, that's something
> we should work on.
>
> > * There were a number of people who suggested running selected commercial ads.
> > * Distributed storage - technically probably not yet feasible
> > * Grid computing
> > * Publish thematical information as commercial books
> ** legal risk associated with publishing (same for dvd below), but we
> can have others publish or sell them, and get royalties. Hopefully, a
> deal will soon be signed up on this matter, which I hope we can generalized.
>
> > * Sell dvds, either whole encyclopedia or thematical
> > * Make deals with clones or block them
> There are a handful of such deals. Just a handful.

Perhaps we can approach the others?

> > * Same for news agencies
> Not sure I see how it would bring money. How so ?
I'll ask the user who posted this. David Gerard is probably right that
wikinews has to pick up   a bit more before this will work.

> > * Make bio info available for pda's. A lot easier to carry around than
> > field guides
> Same question. Making it available only against a payment ?
If it requires a special format, we might consider that.

> > * Asks subsidies from UN, EU and individual states.
> Some expressed concerns with regards to independance. Limitations on
> this very topic is mostly lack of human resources to make the requests.
> Volunteers welcome.
I admit that these concerns are much more legitimate than when we have
a broad array of companies which advertise.

> > * Be more selective in accepting articles
> > * Much of what we have is fancruft, and it seems fairly popular. Move
> > all fanstuff to a separate project, outside wikipedia. Call if
> > fanpedia or something. Let this project be more liberal in its
> > acceptance of media, and let this project accept advertisements. This
> > could probably support all wiki projects.
> > * If images cost to much bandwidth, put a limit of 3 images / article.
>
> I cant estimate the interest of technical suggestions.
> thanks for the feedback
Neither can I. But in the dutch pub I can ask the user who suggested
there was opensource software for grid compunting, if Brion thinks it
may be interesting.

Thank you for listening and commenting. I'll post a translation in the
appropriate thread in the pub of the Dutch wiki.

teun