[Foundation-l] Donation of DVDs to Wikimedia Foundation Projects

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 18:03:56 UTC 2007

On 02/01/07, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:

> HTTP is preferable as BitTorrent has a couple of problems. One problem
> with using BitTorrent is that end-users will need to download and set
> up software to receive the files. If seeders drop off, the file will
> be unavailable for a time. How will we interface our official
> BitTorrent downloads with our current file description pages?

Put a torrent file on the media page when we have a torrent set up.
Keep the HTTP download link, but also offer the torrent file. Anyone
who uses BitTorrent much for software will know that the file will
often arrive much faster over BitTorrent than over HTTP - I was
somewhat surprised when this was the case with OpenOffice.org from a
Sun website.

- d.