[Foundation-l] Donation of DVDs to Wikimedia Foundation Projects

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Jan 2 17:15:15 UTC 2007

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

>Big files can be uploaded through Eloquence. It is somewhere on the
>Commons-l mail list.
>
>Bryan

So, does this mean that uploading and storage of very large files (> 100
MB) is an accepted practice and something done routinely on Commons?
 That was the whole point of starting this thread was to see if this was
being done and if it was something the WMF wanted to get invovled with.
 Basically, I didn't want to get somebody very, very new to Wikimedia
projects going with a whole lot of effort doing the conversion and more,
as well as trying to upload the files without checking.

I seem to recall some discussions on Meta that discouraged this sort of
media content, especially given the bandwidth and storage costs (there
are costs for simply having content sitting on a disk available for
download).  While fiscal costs related to keeping or deleting a page are
trivial, in this situation these files are far from that.  I'm sure you
could do some specific accounting to determine what it would cost for
the WMF to host just as storage on a hard drive about 1GB of data,
together with serving 1TB of data as bandwidth (assuming that this 1GB
file is downloaded at least 1000 times.... a rather conservative notion
given crawling engines alone not to mention interested Wikimedia users).
 Assuming this is multiple DVDs and several hours of video, it could be
substantially more than even this rather modest amount.  Using a
commercial ISP this would amount to several hundreds of dollars over the
course of a year for these files alone.

Owing to Anthere's general epistle (it was somewhat long) to the
Wikimedia community, noting especially the comments that the WMF is
operating on a shoestring budget, I thought it reasonable to ask this
question.  This is also a preceedent setting situation that is likely to
be copied in the future as well, multiplying the issue several times over.

That all this certainly fits within the "mission" of Wikimedia projects
means that it is also something that should be strongly considered, but
I thought it also reasonable to vet the issues first.

The technical issues over how to actually accomplish this are in
comparison very trivial, and I can muddle through and figure that out.
 It is nice to know that Erik would be the best contact to get this
accomplished, however in a technical sense.  Thanks for that bit of info.

--
Robert Scott Horning